Saturday, May 26, 2012

Genealogical Mind Games

This is the kind of crap I spend HOURS doing.......pouring over census data, other people's genealogy research and anything else I can get my hands on via online.
I am SUCH an Uber Nerd, aren't I?lol

A lady left a comment a few weeks ago on a post from 2011 I wrote for my public blog.  It had to do with the history of the area of rural South Central Virginia where my mother's folks come from.
Among the stuff I rambled on about was the plantation called Roxabel in Charlotte Court House, Virginia.
Here's a photo of the house I found online.
The cousins who bought it together, are using it to host weddings/receptions, etc.
Please excuse the bride in the photo.
She is my 1st cousin once removed evidently, yet I have never met her.  Even worse, I am old enough to be her mother. 8-(


At some point after the turn of the 20th century my maternal great grandparents acquired this place.
Of course, it wasn't a plantation anymore at that point, just an old large brick home and a huge piece of land.
Anyway, this commenter said she was descended from slaves who had lived there(and thusly, been owned by the man who owned the plantation).  She had information about the original owner of the plantation, which was something I had never felt the need to look up before.  After all, my kin bought the place well after the slavery days, so they weren't any relation to the wealthy planter class.

And that's when I started wondering if some how, some where way back in the blood lines if my family actually had a connection to the Family who had owned that plantation.
Could I use my skills at "Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon" to find a pathway from me to the Landed Gentry of Charlotte County, Virgina.

So I started excavating......
And today I found a link......albeit a WEAK one, but it's there. ;-)

Let's begin with a man named John Wilkins Marshall I.
He was born in 1714 in England and came to America before 1739, as that is the date he married a woman in Lancaster, PA.
They eventually settled in what was then the Lunenburg County area of VA and grew their family.  They were some of theearly settlers in this area. This county is also adjacent to Campbell and Charlotte County VA and this family line settled in this general 3 county area.

Here's a map.
I've circled the 3 counties I'm talking about in red.

So John Wilkins Marshall I has 2 sons.....he had more but these 2 are the ones I need to talk about....

William Marshall 
John Wilkins Marshall II

And each of these 2 sons had a son....
John Marshall
David Marshall

And each of these 2 sons had a son.....
Hunter Holmes Marshall
Charles Richard Marshall

Hunter H. Marshall is the man who owned Roxabel Plantation.  He was a lawyer and a judge as well as a plantation owner.  He was much better at lawyering than planting though and he ended up moving away to Richmond in his older years after the Civil War.   The plantation was located in Charlotte County, just outside of Charlotte CourtHouse proper.

His oldest son was killed at the tail end of the war and 2 of his other sons fled the state, due to their being implicated in the murder of a newly freed black man(their father's butler)during a political speech.  From what I gather, the eldest daughter of the judge married in 1868 and lived with her family in the house and the land was farmed out and her Husband ran the operation.
This daughter moved away sometime around the turn of the 20th century and we find her living in NYC.

So to continue down the 2 bloodlines of Hunter Holmes and Chas. Richard Marshall--each had a daughter....
Mary Ann Marshall (Gaines)
Addie Marshall (Holt)
 

So here is the diagram I made to show the twisty/turny line that links my kin to that of the Marshalls.

After the direct lines down, then we need to Do-See-Do a few times to the side.

Addie Marshall marries Olifia Wooding Holt.

Olifia Wooding Holt is the son of Charles Calvin Holt, so we go over and back up one generation.
Chas. Calvin Holt is the brother of Elizabeth Frances Holt.
Elizabeth Frances Holt marries John Harper.
John Harper is the brother of James M. Harper.
So we have made 3 lateral moves.

James M. Harper has a son named Robert W. Harper. (down another generation)
Robert W. Harper has a son named Wirt Ross Harper. (down another generation)
Wirt Ross Harper has a daughter who is my mother. (down another generation)
My mother has....me! 8-) (down another generation)

See!
I told you it was a twisty and turvy.
So through marriage I can link to the Marshall clan and the original owner of Roxabel.

But you know what the funny thing is here?
This side of my family that has this tenuous link?
It's NOT the side the bought the house and farm back in the early 1900's!
That was my mother's mother's family, not her father's family.

I know I know.....this is about as exciting as watching paint dry.  What can I say.....I am weird.

Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sluggy,

    I had no idea that you were so into researching your family. I have been researching both DH's and my family for years. I used ancestry.com for years but then it became too expensive to keep renewing. Would you mind sharing the resources you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Precious,
    I mostly use ancestry dotcom still. I haven't gotten around to sending for death/birth certificates or gone to other parts of the country to dig through records yet. I have used the little genealogically info I had gotten from family and then just have searched online for anything and everything I could use.....geneo books that have been digitized, sites with online records, forums, personal family history websites and blogs. I've connected with a couple of other people thru ancestry who are related and we share what we dig up. Much of my maternal lines is well documented already and available. The paternal side is slow going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bride in the picture is my sister. Hello cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hi there yourself cousin...or should I say 2nd cousin if you are Darlene Walker's kid.

      Why don't you email me and we can chat?!

      Delete